Your Check-up at Durham City Smiles
At Durham City Smiles we don’t just ‘do a check-up’. Our dentists perform a fifteen point Oral Health Review. This is in a structured format on our computer system so we make sure we do the same thing at each full examination, so nothing is overlooked or missed.
The fifteen points are:
- General Medical update: here we will ask you about any medications you are taking, any operations or illnesses that we should know about as these situations can change during the time we don’t see you.
- Complaining of? Any problems or pain with your mouth?
- Appearance – are you happy with the appearance and function of your smile and mouth?
- Assessment of your jaw movement and function.
- Assessment of the outside of your mouth – we are checking for any ‘lumps or bumps, asymmetry’ etc.
- Assessment of those nice, soft, pink squidgy bits in your mouth.
- A basic periodontal examination – this is the part where numbers will be read aloud to check the health of the gums.
- Tooth surface loss – this can be shown on the teeth through grinding or acid erosion.
- Now and only now, it’s the teeth – we will check any fillings, crowns and general well being of your teeth.
- X-rays – we like to comply with the regulation of taking x-rays ‘only when needed.’
- Velscope – this is an oral cancer screening where any cell damage/change within the mouth will be highlighted to the dentist who will then explain his findings.
- Oral Health Score – recorded as required.
- Your oral health assessment – at this point your diet and oral hygiene will be checked by your dentist and noted on a scale of good, fair or poor.
- Four major risk factors – risk factors will be noted depending on your decay risk, gum disease risk, your wear of the teeth and oral cancer risk.
- Future treatment needs are discusses and recorded – at this stage we discuss your future treatment requirements, from routine examination and hygiene visits to advanced restorative or cosmetic dental treatment, fully involving you, the patient, in this process.
We think you will agree it’s a long way from ‘Ok, all is fine; see you in six months’.
At Durham City Smiles we CARE about your oral health and well-being.