Dental hygienists are professionally trained to work alongside dentists in giving dental care to patients. They play an important role in dental healthcare and are mainly concerned with gum health. It’s a fact – hygienists make better hygienists than dentists do! You can now book an appointment directly with the hygienist, without seeing your dentist.
That means that you can continue to attend your own dentist for on – going regular dental treatment and see a Direct Access hygienist for additional gum care or cosmetic cleaning.
Here’s what our hygienists have to say about what they do!
- Prevent and treat gum disease by professionally cleaning your teeth (known as a ‘scale and polish’) and offer advice on how to keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy.
- Carefully remove any deposits that build up on the teeth and teach patients how to prevent it from forming again.
- Give advice on diet and preventing dental decay.
- Periodontitis (gum disease) is more common than you might think. In the UK, 40% of adults are affected, often without knowing. The sooner it is diagnosed and treated, the better. If plaque is not removed, it grows under the gum line and slowly breaks down the supporting bone. It is often unnoticed and without pain. In time, the teeth may become loose and ultimately be lost.
- Cleaning can be done under local anaesthetic if sensitive (especially if gum disease is well established).
- The professional treatment is deep cleaning, often with local anaesthetic. You will also be given advice on suitable cleaning aids (see our blog on Oral Health Products).
- Looking after your teeth and gums at home will improve your appearance, give you fresh breath and help you to keep your teeth!
As the saying goes… ‘You don’t have to brush all your teeth – just the ones you want to keep!’
If you would like to arrange an appointment with our Dental Hygienist please
call us on: 0191 3844447 or email us at: info @durhamcitysmiles.co.uk